Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Well-Deserved "thanks" to the Rents

So this blog is dedicated to my parents, Wanda and Kevin Ryder...aka Mom and Dad...and their influences and help that I received after moving to Newfoundland.

Three years ago, my sister Danielle and I enbarked on a journey to the unpopular province of Newfoundland. At this time, many newfoundlanders were moving westward while Danielle and I decided to try and balance the act by moving easterly.

Upon arriving in Newfoundland, we lived in a small community called "Clarenville". To my sister, this was hell on earth. For myself, it felt like being surrounded by thousands of horses with blinders. Narrow minded views and uneducated opinions encompass many small towns like this. Not to mention the immediate culture shock that my sister and I experienced.
I can remember many times thinking to myself..."What have I done?"
I found myself missing the simple pleasures that I had become so accustomed to in Calgary. Things like...roads with speed limits above 60km/hr, ginger beef chinese food, 7-11 slurpees, IMAX, and every store you can imagine at hand. Going back to Calgary for a visit was like stepping into another world. It's amazing at how much you can take for granted when it's in front of your face for most of your life.

Through that year, my parents helped me out as best they could. Primary financially but through constant phone calls, e-mails and the occassional visits, we have maintained and maybe even drawn a stronger bond as family.
I also came to know my extended family more closely. These people included my Nan, who I lived with, My uncle Alvin and Aunt Wanda, and our Cousins, Adam and Joanna. And we cannot forget precious little Alexis, Joanna's young one.

It was when I finally moved to St. John's and started to attend Memorial that I began to realize that this move was the best decision of my life. First off, St. John's is a city!!! I also began to realize my own potential and desire to become something "more". I started to challenge myself and one by one I began to overcome these challenges. It was amazing to me the power of ambition and will. Many people say that if you work hard and do your best, you will achieve your goals. I never realized how true this was until I began University. I busted my ass, to say the least. And I will not minimize the efforts I had to put forth in order to reach my high-set goals. I truly believe the encouragement of my parents were foundational in helping me realize my potential.

My mother. Someone you grow to respect. She is a straight shooter; she tells it how it is regardless of if you want to hear it or not. I have so much respect for her utmost honesty. If you want the truth and you are seeking advice to change something, seek out this woman. She hates fake people, and that's what I love about her because when you get to know Wanda, you get to truly know Wanda. There is no smoke and mirrors and she will not put on a show for anyone, no matter if you are the Queen of England. This doesn't go to say she doesn't show repsect or compassion towards people. She does. But she does it with honesty.
She is not only wise but carries an amazing sense of power, especially regarding her soul. I cannot forget the many times growing up that I tried my hardest to hide something from her, only to have her confront me about that very specific thing days later. How she knew? Her gutt. She always taught me to follow my gutt instinct and listen to your conscience because in essence, your conscience is "God" speaking to you. And she is so right. How many times did I go against my gutt and end up with undesireable consequences?!?!? Well, that alone is another story in itself!
My mom was always my rock and still is. She has been that person who has been there since I can remember. She never left me, abondoned me, or made me feel lesser of a person. Instead, she made me feel the complete opposite. She always encouraged my sister and I to become the best we could be. Not only the best person as in personality, compassion, and empathy towards others but in terms of life, ambition, and career. She always wanted us to be independent women and that is exactly what we have become. She has always allowed Danielle and I to be ourselves, to become our own person, and despite the fact that she may not have always like our choices, she never judged us or looked down on us for it. She let us make our mistakes, although with guidance and advice, she knew it was our life to live and we had to make our own decisions and learn our own way.
Her strength, another important quality that I think makes her stand out above others. Do not get in her way, because she will run you down. She knows what she wants and will do whatever it takes to get it. I guess I got that determination from her because I've always seen through her that if there is a will, there is surely a way! My mom finds that way through think and thin. No matter what obstacle, she always comes out on top. And she has had MANY many obstacles. I look at her as one of the strongest people I've ever known.

Then there is my Dad, Kevin. Kevin is a quiet, sensitive, wise and patient type. He enjoys laid back activities and routinely norms. He loves our dog, Oreo. He loves my sister and I. And most importantly, he loves my mom. I look up to Kevin in so many ways. He has always been there for me and my sister. We have come to know Kevin as our true Dad...because it doesn't take much effort to be a father, but it takes a hell of a lot more effort to be a "Dad". And Kevin is our Dad.
His wisdom has always been something I've enjoyed and respected. He is so logical and rational. He is a real critical thinker and can see things that most people take hours to think through. He doesn't forget a thing. I wish I had only half the memory this guy has!
He is also great with people and even animals. Those of all ages, including kids, absolutely love Kevin. He is social, friendly, and kind. I admire this about him and I try to model myself after him in this area.
He is funny - a sense of very dry humour. There are times when I've busted out so hard in laughter, I nearly peed myself. Even his laugh is funny.
He is a good teacher. His patience shines through in this area. He rarely get fustrated or impatient with you, even when you yourself are becoming so. I remember learning to drive standard and parallel parking the huge Dodge truck. Kevin always kept his cool and tried to keep my cool too! I've gained a lot of automobile knowledge from him, and have come to realize how much I love cars! Whenever I have a problem with the Legend, I call Kevin. I also remember the many math problems and even philosophical english questions that Kevin always was able to help in answering. I don't think there is much you can ask him in which he cannot answer.
Even if Kevin is to insult you, which is very rare, he does it with class. How do you insult someone with class? Well let me tell you! Kevin will calmly and deeply speak concisely regarding his feelings. Usually a man of few words, that's all it takes for this guy to cut you down. There is no need to be vulgar or overly emotional...it's just a statement which says "this is how it is" and that's it. He never needs to stoop to another's level. HOW he does it? I have no idea.
He is the kind of person who never demands respect, but simply commands it. I have a lot of respect for him.

My parents have been there for my sister and I all through the past 3 years that we have been living away. We keep in constant contact and whenever there is new news, we are quick to share it with each other. They are so supportive and proud of us and what we have accomplished so far as university students.
And those are my parents. I cannot forget my brother. He is grown into quite the man. Danielle and I love him very much. I know he thinks a lot over us and hopes the best for us. Although, this is hard to see sometimes when there is food around. But we don't mind sharing once in a while, especially now that we only get to see him once a year.
He is very smart and so cuddly.
His name is OREO! And he's the family dog!!! HAHAHHA had you going there didn't I!
I wish I could load a picture of him but this blog thing isn't letting me for some reason. Maybe I'll dedicate a future post just for him so you can see how CUTE he is!

And that's my family who live far far away and why they deserve a very big "Thank You".

I love you!!!

1 Comments:

At 5:52 PM, Blogger Wanda said...

Wow, daughter of mine!

WE LOVE YOU !

LOVE MOM & Kevin
&&&&&&&&&&&&
OREO

 

Post a Comment

<< Home