Saturday, January 06, 2007

Oreo


Most everyone who reads my blog already knows that Oreo is no longer with us. It has been a tough few days...and I have to say that I never expected to be saying goodbye to that amazing dog so soon. But to my surprise, Oreo had to be laid to rest only a few hours before my flight home from Calgary. It was extremely hard to do, but I am glad we were there for Mom and Kevin.
I knew Oreo had been sick. But sometimes pets do get sick...and you take them to the vet and they get better. Oreo was getting better. He was healthy and happy throughout the majority of the holiday. I knew he wasn't himself but I also attributed that to the fact that Oreo was getting older. Little did we know that he was dying slowing inside. After seeing the x-ray at the vet, I felt a heavy weight fall over me. I knew there was nothing we could do.

This holiday was full of many farewells, but most were not permenent. Good bye to Calgary, good bye to the house I called home, good bye to the neighbours, good bye to Aunt Joanne and Uncle Bruce, and good bye to many long-time friends that I ran into along the way. There was a sense of loss from the moment I arrived. But nothing could prepare me for what was really to come. It kills me to know that I will never see that big teddy bear of a dog, again. I am just grateful that I was able to spend another full Christmas holiday with him and gain some new memories.
It was almost like he waited for me and Danielle to come home, and then he tried to hang in until the very end. Call me silly but at the same time, he was really too smart for his own good. It really wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

Tears are rolling down my face as I write this because Oreo was always my little pal. Before I moved to Newfoundland, I was very close to that dog. Although Kevin was always First in Command, many times I felt that I came in second growing up with him. I taught him many of his tricks, attempted to walk him in the dog parks around the city (although when he was younger, he really walked ME), and spent a lot of cuddle time and play time with him.
I have so many more fond memories of him and it breaks my heart to know he is gone. Not only was he intelligent, but was he was capable of showing compassion and love. I have never met a dog who could hug you the way Oreo could. That dog LOVED his family...especially Kevin.

My life has changed and I now have my own dog. I spent the last three years living away from Oreo and in that time, Mom and Kevin became even closer to him. He was the only "kid" left after my sister and I moved to NL.
Although my heart breaks for Oreo, it breaks even more so for my parents. I cannot imagine how hard it must have been to come to an empty house with no Oreo to greet you. To have to clean up all his toys and anything else that belonged to him. To come home and know you don't have to take him for a walk now...and the list goes on. I know Kevin is lost without him and mom is having a hard time with the loneliness that accompanies his loss. But time is a wonderful healer.

I believe we made the best decision for him but it doesn't mean it still won't hurt for a while. I know Oreo made such an impression on so many people who were lucky enough to get to know him. He was not just a dog. He was so much more....smart, unique, funny, and quirky. There will NEVER be another dog like him...
If he wasn't so special, then this wouldn't hurt as much. So I welcome the intense pain because I know that he was loved more than many dogs ever experience.

I know many people will miss him very dearly, especially Mom, Kevin, Danielle and I.
So good-bye, Oreo. You were loved very much.
Good dog.


5 Comments:

At 1:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was really nice. I miss him so much already. :(

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Wanda said...

There will never be another OREO!
This Friday, I won't be getting my hug.... that is going to hurt!

We are all doing better, we have been grieving not only the loss of OREO but the two of you leaving too. Our house is empty and lonely but time does heal. Thanks for being with Kevin and me for January 3rd. We appreciated it.
LOVE YOU BOTH

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger Joanne said...

What a wonderful tribute to an amazing friend! As a family, you made one of the most difficult decisions you have ever had to make. I am amazed at the compassion and grace you all had. Thank you for including me in O's goodbye.

LOVE YOU BOTH!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

oreo was lucky to have so many people love him so much - it always hurts to lose a member of the family

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read it again. *sniff* (the anonymous person was me)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home